State of Animation Tools in the Industry
Wednesday, 13 August 9:00 AM - 10:30 AM | Vancouver Convention Centre, West Building, Rooms 211-214
DreamWorks Animation, Pixar, and Disney have invested in next-gen animation tools, or enhanced existing animation tools, for their animators. Autodesk has made a push in recent years to add and improve animation features in Maya. Rhythm & Hues built an extensible framework, Voodoo, that is used across multiple departments and received a 2013 Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Technical Achievement Award.
This panel brings together animators and engineers who have led efforts to design, implement, and deploy these tools to their respective user base. Discussion topics:
• An in-depth exploration of these tools, to give attendees insight and context on the various ways animation is being done today.
• Exploration of important animation-tool features (for example, real-time playback, interactivity, enabling creativity, art-directable), how animators interact with these tools, unique workflows, and inter-departmental collaboration.
• Detailed examination of the various technical requirements.
• The philosophy and architecture behind the tools, technologies, and techniques (for example, multi-threading) that enable high-performance character and graph evaluation, user-interface choices, and different ways to interact with the tools.
• The remarkable interaction, relationships, and processes required to bridge the gap between the creative and technical experts who come together to build these tools.
• Future trends of animation tools in the industry.
Walt Disney Animation Studios
PIxar Animation Studios
Martin de Lasa
Rhythm & Hues Studios