Register Now Through 20 June for Maximum Savings
As more and more content is being announced, we bet you can't wait to register to attend SIGGRAPH 2014 — that's why we're encouraging you to do so now before early registration closes! Register by Friday, 20 June to ensure you save up to $200 and get the biggest bang for your buck.
With more than 173 Technical Papers; 150+ exhibitors; numerous Courses, Panels, and Talks on industry hot topics; and the thrilling, Academy Award qualifying Computer Animation Festival, SIGGRAPH 2014 is the computer graphics and interactive techniques event of the year. Plus, this year we're back in beautiful Vancouver with a gorgeous view of the Pacific and content from top studios. It's a win-win.
SIGGRAPH Production Sessions are the place where the world's most elite and talented computer graphic experts and creative geniuses explain their processes and techniques for creating compelling content. Following each presentation, attendees are able to ask questions about the challenges and issues associated with complex productions — a can't-miss Q&A opportunity!
At SIGGRAPH 2014, we're offering production sessions that go behind-the-scenes of some of the year's biggest films. For the complete list of sessions, check back in early July. In the meantime, read through a sampling of sessions in the SIGGRAPH 2014 Advance Program, including the list below (sessions start on page 22).
- Inside the Magical World of Disney's "Maleficent"
- Building Blocks for "The LEGO Movie"
- Industrial Light & Magic Presents: Capturing the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles"
- The Production and Visual Effects of "Killzone Shadow Fall"
- Making "Gravity" at Framestore
SIGGRAPH 2014 Studio Preview
Experience a collaborative working environment with the SIGGRAPH 2014 Studio program where we bring together the latest technologies and brightest minds to learn, experiment, and create. The Studio allows you to try out a wide range of new techniques and media with help from experienced hands through Courses, Talks, and Projects.
Prepare to play with the latest in 3D printing, modeling, and animation software, and bring your ideas to life 10-14 August!
The Evolution of Silence
Tips for First-Timers
Whether you're new to SIGGRAPH or just need a refresher on how best to tackle the biggest five days in computer graphics and interactive techniques, we're here for you. The SIGGRAPH experience can be daunting with the breadth of content available throughout the week and we want you to be prepared.
While planning your time, be sure follow the "First-Timers Focus" call-outs through the Advance Program and coming soon to our website. In addition, check out our top five tips from a veteran attendee below!
- Attend the first-time attendee Panel: Ready, Steady ... SIGGRAPH
- If you really, really want to get into a session GET THERE EARLY. Due to fire codes, we are only permitted a certain number of bodies to every room so if you arrive too close to start time, you may be out of luck.
- Collaborate with other attendees, whether that is in the Studio, at networking events, or anywhere else that people gather throughout the week.
- Plan ahead using the Schedule at a Glance and try to stay for more than one day — packing the full experience in such a short time can be maddening.
- When in doubt, ask a volunteer! An easy spot to find volunteers will be at the SIGGRAPH 2015 booth in the West Building, Ballroom A Lobby where they will be happy to point you in the right direction. You can also find the wonderful student volunteers spread throughout the convention center (with "Ask Me" buttons on their shirts).
Become the SIGGRAPH 2017 Conference Chair
The annual SIGGRAPH conference and its year-round initiatives provide unique crossroads for a diverse community of researchers, developers, creators, educators, and practitioners. Our continuing mission is to be the premier annual conference on theory and practice of computer graphics and interactive techniques, inspiring progress through education, excellence, and interaction.
The SIGGRAPH Conference Chair has a rare opportunity to inspire and lead a highly energized, multi-talented, and deeply committed team of volunteers and professional service contractors in delivering the world's greatest conference on computer graphics and interactive techniques. SIGGRAPH Conference Chairs work in close conjunction with the Chief Staff Executive (CSE), Conference Advisory Group (CAG), ACM SIGGRAPH Executive Committee (EC), and many others to create and implement the conference. The role normally begins two years before their conference and continues until the January after. For more information on requirements and qualifications, click here.
Book Your SIGGRAPH 2014 AccommodationsWith discounts to several hotels in the Vancouver area, negotiated for SIGGRAPH 2014 attendees only, it's easier than ever to choose where to stay. Reservations made after 14 July are based on availability only and rates may increase. Be sure to book your hotel reservations soon as rooms are running out!
- Official hotels have been inspected and carefully selected by SIGGRAPH. They’re SIGGRAPH-endorsed. They're cool, comfortable, and convenient.
- In the official hotels, you're closer to SIGGRAPH friends and colleagues. It's much easier to connect in real life over breakfast, lunch, coffee, drinks, or dinner.
- Most official hotels are within walking distance of the Vancouver Convention Centre or near quick, easy transportation links.
- You can discuss questions or concerns directly with the helpful people at SIGGRAPH 2014's official hotel desk in the convention center.
- Booking terms are very reasonable when you use the official online reservation system: No change fees. No full prepayment.
- The official discounted rates are guaranteed until 14 July 2014.
- If you use other hotel-reservation systems, you have to live with their way-too-complicated terms and conditions. And if you have a reservation or room problem, SIGGRAPH 2014 can't help you negotiate with the hotel.
- Future hotel rates and registration fees will remain reasonable, because SIGGRAPH's negotiating position with host cities and hotel companies will be stronger.
- It's the right thing to do, for yourself, the SIGGRAPH community, and your favorite conference.
- SIGGRAPH room blocks will sell out and you won’t find a more reasonable downtown rate out there.
To book your room today, click here.
Mentor Students at SIGGRAPH 2014
SIGGRAPH is looking for 20 mentors for high school students at SIGGRAPH 2014 in Vancouver, Canada.If you’ll be at the conference for a significant amount of time from Sunday, 10 August through Thursday, 14 August, please continue reading.
There's a growing concern about the lack of young people interested in careers in technology. Being a mentor won’t cost you a lot of time (each mentor averages about 30 minutes a day), and the personal rewards are significant. It has been a treat for us to walk around with our students and find out what graphics technology is exciting to someone in high school.
Each student will be a full-fledged SIGGRAPH attendee with access to all of the venues thanks to the Spend a Week at SIGGRAPH Student Program. Your role as a mentor will be to provide on-site guidance during the conference.
The idea is simple: Let each student experience computer graphics up-close-and-personal and have an expert (you!) as consultant and guide. Click here for more detail on the Pioneers mentor program.
To apply to become one of this year's mentors, please email Kathleen Milnes at email@example.com.